An ePortfolio is a purposeful collection of information and digital artifacts documenting progress in a course or throughout an academic career.
ePortfolios have many benefits to students in addition to offering a helpful way for students to organize materials. Here is a list of some of the other uses/benefits of ePortfolios:
- ePortfolios are a great complement to a resume or curriculum vitae
- ePortfolios provide a good source for recommendation letter writers.
- ePortfolios are great for travel-abroad reflections and journaling.
- ePortfolio reflections help hone skills in preparation for interviewing.
- ePortfolios are excellent for making and documenting connections between learning experiences.
- ePortfolios are good for getting to know students in your department/program.
- ePortfolios help to facilitate student learning between courses.
Want more information?
The Association for Authentic, Experiential and Evidence-Based Learning (AAEBL) is a community of practice based in electronic portfolios in learning and teaching. They have a conference every August in Boston, MA, which is a great opportunity to immerse yourself in electronic portfolios.This website contains a lot of information for you to understand the many facets of ePortfolios in higher education.
See our Research page for recent scholarship on the value and use of ePortfolios.